Saturday, October 24, 2009

Angels Are Still Here

Whenever heaven wants to announce something big it is assigned to the angels to make the announcement. They have often been seen. They sometimes carry trumpets, sing and make an historic declaration as they did when the Christ Child was born. But sometimes they are just here, ready to help, hoping to be asked, ready with necessary equipment, unrecognized, not asking thanks, ever ready and willing.

It was a beautiful day. My daughter was driving our Toyota. I was in the front seat beside her; my granddaughter and her small son were in the back seat. We had just left Bear Lake where we had been overnight guests. As we’d packed the car with our overnight gear we’d noticed one tire, the back right one, seemed a little low, as if it might be losing a little air. Evanston, Wyoming wasn’t far away so we decided it would be a good idea to roll into a Big O Tire and have it checked before going on.

We found help and waited while the mechanics checked it out. It wasn’t much of a problem and soon it was all fixed and we were on our way again. We were driving from Evanston, Wyoming at a regular speed, where the highway separates into three highways, one turning left going around Echo Lake going to Salt Lake and the right one that cuts off going to Ogden. It’s a very dangerous spot with heavy traffic buzzing around each highway. As we began to round the corner, just barely before we hit the turn, there was a zzzzzzzzz sound and we knew the tire had blown!

“Don’t hit your brakes!” My granddaughter wisely reminded my daughter from the back seat.

“I’ve got to stop,” returned my daughter as two cars swerved around us, trying to get out of the way. We quickly came to a stop just as another car swung around us from behind and squealed to a stop in front of us, his car facing ours.

The girls got out and opened the trunk. The unidentified stranger in the miraculous car leaned over and picked up a toolbox that was evidently sitting right beside him in the front seat of his car. He picked it up and came to help us. He immediately changed the tire and put everything back and left as quickly as he had appeared. All I had time to say was a quick, “Thank you,” before he was back in his car again and gone.

Who was he? I don’t know. He came, did his work and was gone before I realized what had happened. Later I tried to remember what he’d looked like or if he had a name. He appeared, helped us and was gone!

All the way home I tried to remember what the stranger looked like and if he had said anything. All I could remember was that he came to help us and then left as quickly as he’d appeared.

Yes, he was an angel all right! They are everywhere. They ask nothing and give whatever is needed and then move on. That’s one of the way angels work. I thank that angel over and over whenever I think of him. I am so grateful. Yes, angels are still here and they help us more than we know!

“We [angels] hold your hand literally and figuratively throughout your life. Occasionally you are aware of our presence, yet most of the time you do not know that we are there.”
~ Doreen Virtue, My Guardian Angel

“Heaven sometimes inspires everyday people to act as earthly angels.” ~ Doreen Virtue, My Guardian Angel

“I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face.” (“The Ministry of Angels,” General Conference, October 2008) ~ Elder Jeffrey R. Holland


[Pictured: My great granddaughter, Acacia.]

No comments:

Post a Comment