Saturday, February 27, 2010

Get the Heck Out of My Life!

Our young, nineteen year old son was getting ready to serve a mission for the Mormon Church. It was something he’d prepared for and looked forward to all his life. During the days of preparation, as he worked to make the money he’d need, there were times he was tempted by the adversary. One temptation seemed to come in the form of him being more argumentative than he’d ever been in his life. As his mother I was confused and I began to be very prayerful about the situation.

As we discussed an issue one evening, an argument quickly arose and seemed to get a little out of hand. Even though I hadn’t planned to say it, I heard the words come out of my mouth.

“Son, this isn’t like you. Are you sure you haven’t an evil Spirit with you?”

“Are you sure YOU haven’t got an evil Spirit with you, mother?” He said deviantly in self defense.

“No, I’m not sure. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I’ve been prayerful, but I’ll try again.”

No more was said that day. He went to work and I went about the many tasks I had to accomplish. It was during the evening meal that he said to me humbly and quite plainly, “You were right, mother. There has been an evil Spirit with me.”

“And what have you done about it?” I asked, relieved that he was no longer argumentative and seemed to be at peace.

“Well, I just told Satan to get the heck out of my life!” he explained.

It was that simple. In his youthful way he had simply commanded Satan to leave him alone, and Satan had been obliged to heed. I thought of one of the times Christ had commanded Satan and also the time Moses had commanded Satan to leave, and realized that was all that was needed. “Get thee behind me, Satan.” ~ Matthew 16:23

“And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan.”
~ Luke 4:8

“And it came to pass that Moses began to fear exceedingly; and as he began to fear, he saw the bitterness of hell. Nevertheless, calling upon God, he received strength, and he commanded, saying: Depart from me, Satan, for this one God only will I worship, which is the God of glory.”

“And now Satan began to tremble, and the earth shook; and Moses received strength, and called upon God, saying: In the name of the Only Begotten, depart hence, Satan.”

“And it came to pass that Satan cried with a loud voice, with weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth; and he departed hence, even from the presence of Moses, that he beheld him not.” ~ Moses 1:20-22

No comments:

Post a Comment